Cycle of Change model developed in 1982 by Prochaska and Diclemente
- Pre-contemplation (Not yet acknowledging that there is a problem behavior that needs to be changed) Raise awareness of problem
- Contemplation (Acknowledging that there is a problem but not yet ready or sure of wanting to make a change) Empathic supportive listening whilst asking questions that try to create thoughts that are in conflict with making no change.
- Preparation/Determination (Getting ready to change) Helping them understand what action THEY need to take and identifying what WE or OTHERS can do to help
- Action/Willpower (Changing behavior) Listening, supporting and guiding.
- Maintenance (Maintaining the behaviour change) Positive feedback and congratulations
- Relapse (Returning to older behaviour and abandoning the new changes) Listening, understanding, not judging, positive reinforcement that they will succeed next time.